Remote working can be challenging, especially if you’re an extravert who likes to change the environment and prefers to be surrounded by other people. Although there is no one-size-fits all recipe or strategy for working effectively in remote settings, there are a few best practices you can follow to improve your performance.
Table of contents
- What are the benefits of remote work?
- What makes it challenging?
- The effectiveness of remote work – 6 best practices
- The takeaway
What are the benefits of remote work?
Challenging as it may be, remote work has many advantages that make it a noteworthy option. In the new normal era, many organizations realized that many specialists can work from their homes equally effectively as from the office.
This format benefits both employees and employers, as it’s:
- Cost-effective – businesses don’t need to spend extra on workplace rental, equipment, and utilities.
- Time-saving – employees don’t need to commute, which gives them back even 2-3 hours per day.
- Eco-friendly – working from home cuts down on carbon emissions from transportation.
- Convenient – many people enjoy working from the comfort of their home. They appreciate the peacefulness and the possibility and feel less stressed at home.
- Productive – without distractions from colleagues, employees can focus better on their tasks.
What makes it challenging?
There are a few challenges that come with remote work.
The first challenge is staying motivated. When you’re not in an office environment, it’s easy to become distracted and less productive. Moreover, measuring effectiveness of remote work is harder. That’s why it’s important to create a routine and stick to it.
Another challenge is communication. It can be difficult to stay in touch with remote team members and make sure everyone is on the same page.
Finally, there is the issue of loneliness and mental wellbeing. Working from home can be isolating, and it’s important to make an effort to socialize and connect with others.
Fortunately, there are tips and strategies for working effectively in remote settings.
The effectiveness of remote work – 6 best practices
The vast majority of employees state that working remotely is the right fit for them. However, to do it properly, they need to develop the right routine.
How to work remotely effectively? Focus on:
- Work on your communication skills – communication dynamics are completely different when working remotely. After all, you won’t be able to simply come over to your colleague’s desk and ask for support. In order to improve your effectiveness, develop a good meeting etiquette that will help you stay up-to-date and connect with the team.
- Develop a routine – when working remotely, you need to be extra disciplined in order to stay productive. Therefore, it’s important to develop a solid routine that will help you stay focused.
- Get rid of distractions – one of the main challenges of work from home is to stay focused and avoid distractions. Make sure to create a conducive environment for work, where you won’t be interrupted by family members or other distractions.
- Take regular breaks – to avoid burnout, take regular breaks. Get up and walk around, take a few minutes to stretch, or simply step away from your computer.
- Set boundaries – it’s important to set boundaries between your work and personal life. When you’re working remotely, it’s easy to get caught up in work and forget to take a break. Therefore, it’s crucial to have balance and make sure you have time for both work and personal life.
- Stay organized – when working remotely, you need to be extra organized in order to stay on top of things. Use special tools like Trello or Asana to keep track of your tasks and progress.
Knowing how to work effectively remotely and prepare your environment is the first step in the process.
Think about a strategy that suits you best and don’t forget to separate your work and personal life.